Caden, Shawntel, Calder, and Jordan right outside of the White House. This was the first place we went in DC, and thanks to Anne Marie we were able to take a tour. We felt special when we got there because our names were already on a list for a reserved time tour and we got to jump a long line of people waiting to get in. It was fun to see inside the White House and it reminded Jordan and I a lot of touring the Biltmore.
This was taken from the back side of the White House. We stood on a sidewalk outside the gates to take the picture and right after we left, cops evacuated the area because the President was meeting with someone and the caravan was arriving. It was pretty cool!
We enjoyed stopping at this field for a while and letting the boys run and play. A lot of the sites we visited were not always geared towards children, and we had to keep them strapped in the stroller for much of it. But this was time to run free! And the boys loved it.
Mom and Calder taking a little walk.
Shawntel, Calder, and Jordan with the National Monument behind us. This was taken from the bottom of the steps of the Lincoln Memorial.
Shawntel, Madison, and Michael with another pic of the National Monument behind us.
Jordan and Shawntel and the National Monument...flags circled the entire thing. It was cool!
This is Calder beside the National Monument.
We had obviously walked Caden too much! I think we all walked ourselves tired everyday. We definitely should've lost some weight with all the walking we did. Anyways, Caden had fallen asleep in the stroller, and Calder was being an angel. He gave Caden a kiss on the head and then called me over. He had picked some flowers (they're in his hand), that he said he wanted to give me. It was very sweet!
This is the United States Archives, where the Declaration of Independence, Bill of Rights, Constitution, etc. are housed. When we got inside, there was a huge line to get into the little arena where the documents are held. So, we were waiting when all of a sudden one of the guards came and asked us to follow him. My mom was scared that they were kicking us out because her flash went off when taking a picture (which is strictly prohibited) and none of us wanted to be taken out of this long line...but we followed anyways. Luckily again we had our stroller and we got to go right in, cutting in front of lots of people, because we took the handicap ramp rather than climbing the stairs into the room. We felt very special! It was cool to see the original copies of these documents, and we all felt like we were in National Treasure!
The Museum of Natural History...I must say I think I was just as intriguied by the dinosaur bones as the boys were. This was a cool museum.
Aunt Madison, Calder, and Uncle Michael in front of some dinosaur fossils at the Natural History Museum.
I'm not sure if you can see the massive whale above the boys' heads, but this was taken in the Museum of Natural History. This was probably the most entertaining spot for the kids.
They had a carousel in the middle of this big field outside of the National Archives. Calder and I enjoyed a ride.
We were talking about the baby as we rested in this field one day and realized that I had NEVER taken a profile shot of my belly pregnant...with any of our babies! So here's a first for me! I'm 14 weeks along in this picture and really not showing too much. But we'll have to keep it up to see the progress.
Jordan decided to show his pregnant belly! He's much better at sticking out than I am.
This was the Holocaust Museum and the only picture of ALL of us together in DC. It was hard to find people to take our picture, but I'm glad we at least got one. We didn't an actual tour of this so we only saw one portion of it, but it was the story of a child who experienced and survived the Holocaust. It was very touching and very real...they created replicas of his home, camps he sent to, and a concentration camp. His story and journalings were shown throughout the space.
I love our new camera because we can snap a hundred pictures really quickly, one after the other. This is so important when trying to get good pictures of young children cause they don't sit still for long and you never know when they just might smile...together! We got really lucky with this shot. It was the only good one on this bench out of about 20 pics! And I'd say it's one of the best pictures we've ever taken of the boys together.
Caden on Dad's shoulders...it's one of the only ways to contain him and keep him from running all over the place. He is on wild child! But we wouldn't have it any other way.
Calder was the first to sit by the fountain, but as soon as Caden saw his big brother, he had to do exactly what he did! They funny part was where Cade sat...we tried to sit him next to Calder to take their picture, but Caden wouldn't let us move him. They're great at taking pictures though!
A view of the city of Washington, DC from Arlington National Cemetary...this is one of the best things we did in DC. It was pretty neat!
This was President John F. Kennedy's headstone at Arlington National Cemetary. His wife and son's were next to his, and we also so his brother's.
Abraham Lincoln at the Lincoln Memorial
Lincoln Memorial...this had some cool things to look at inside the building...which we can thank the stroller for seeing cause we had to use the elevator located inside!
Past the statue of the soldiers is the Vietnam Veterans Wall. There was a pair of Army boots laid against the wall that had been placed by a retired soldier. He wrote a letter to five of his former comrades who had previously been killed, describing the difference in treatment of American soldiers today compared to that during Vietnam. He explained that back then citizens would scorn soldiers and even spit on them because they did not agree with the war efforts. He said that he wished his friends could see it now...he told how people willingly give up first class seats for a soldier today and truly show honor and respect to those serving, regardless of their beliefs and views on the war. Jordan and I both cried reading this letter, which included other stories. You could feel the pride and dignity and honor this man felt for his service, and I'm so grateful for men and women like him.
This is Arlington National Cemetary, and only shows a very small portion of the rows and rows of white burial plaques. It was surreal.
We got to Arlington at just the right time, because we were able to see the change of the gaurds at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, which is a big deal. This tomb is gaurded 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. They have to stand at each corner for exactly 21 seconds and then take 21 steps to the other corner. It was very interesting to watch, but a little difficult with the boys cause you had to maintain silence. It was amazing the spirit you could feel among those who have been honored for serving our country.


5 comments:
I really need to go there. I love that things there are free to do. The boys are cute as always, love the pic of them on the bench together. I can't wait till you know what you are having!! Oh and Michael and Madison are so grown up. I can't believe it, I still picture them as little for some reason. Crazy!! They are so cute though!
What a good looking family! haha I love the picture of Jordan's "pregnant" belly ;) Looks like you guys had a great trip and got to do/see a ton of stuff! When we lived in Virginia we went to D.C. a few times and I LOVED it. Your boys are so cute and growing up so fast!
I'm going to DC this weekend for the first time so it was fun to see your pictures! I doubt I'll get as much done as you guys did but I'm hoping to see lots of stuff. Looks like you guys are doing well and having fun. Thanks for all the pictures!
Looks like a great time!
How fun!! I love all of the pictures. You look great! I'm so glad you made the trip and were able to experience D.C. with the boys.
Post a Comment